The Waco-McLennan County Public Health District is excited to announce that our District and Community Services campus is going tobacco free effective this Thursday, May 1st. In recognition of the day, we will host a few fun activities for everyone to enjoy.
On May 1, 2014:
- Everyone is encouraged to Go Green in recognition of a healthier smoke free environment. Please show your support by wearing green on Thursday.
- At 11:00 am we will host a brief ceremony on the steps of the Health District building (225 W. Waco Dr) to celebrate the policy implementation.
- There will be a symbolic balloon release, banner unveiling and taking of pictures.
- Green popcorn will be served in the Health District lobby along with smoking cessation information for those who may be interested.
- You may also find resources for quitting smoking on the Live Well Waco and Health District websites.
April 26th is Healthy Kids Day at the Doris Miller YMCA! Come out from 10am-2pm and learn ways to improve the health of your family! There will be several activities for adults and kids to participate in!
To kick off the event, there will be a ribbon cutting to officially open the walking trail to the community to use for free!
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/276817325813044/?ref=22
National Public Health Week
April 7th – 12th
Find out more about the services of the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District as we observe National Public Health Week April 7-12. During the week, residents can come to learn more about the great services available through our agency and participate in a variety of FREE screenings being offered. Below is more information on screenings/activities being offered each day.
The week will end with the Health District’s participation in the Healthy Soul Food Demonstration and Health Fair at Carver Park Baptist Church on Saturday, April 12th from 11am-2pm. For more information, call 750-5631.
Weekly Events from 10am-2pm
Monday, April 7: Environmental Services will host a booth and showcase services provided.
Tuesday, April 8: Preparedness will host a booth and spotlight their services. Carter Blood Care will collect blood donations.
Wednesday, April 9: Immunization, Outreach and the WIC program will share a booth to highlight their services. WIC will provide a taste test to compare whole milk, low-fat milk, and fat-free milk.
Thursday, April 10: Health Education will host a booth and provide the following screenings – blood pressure, weight and BMI. Healthy snacks will be provided while supplies last.
Friday, April 11: Vital Statistics, HIV/STD, and TB will share a booth. HIV/STD will provide rapid testing and gift cards for those who complete the test.
Saturday, April 12: A Healthy Soul Food Demo and Health Fair will take place at Carver Park Baptist Church from 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. The following screenings will be provided for FREE– blood pressure checks, blood glucose screening, body mass index calculator, HIV/STD screenings and more.